Monday, February 8, 2016

Oil Portraitry

12" x 9" Oil on Panel
You'd think with all the portraits I've done in charcoal and pastel, and all the plein air landscapes I've painted in oil, that I'd have made more portraits with oil paints. Since I haven't, a few days ago I thought I'd do something about it and practice a little. Unfortunately the only model available to me that day was the guy pictured above. I've done his portrait before (you can see that here), but I don't like the way he scowls at me. I never realize it until after I'm finished. Must be what staring into a mirror does to you.

This portrait was painted with three colors; cadmium yellow medium, cadmium red, and ivory black, plus titanium white. I thought I'd make it challenging by having two light sources, a warm and a cool light, and putting a shadow down one side of the face. It's not how I'd paint a conventional portrait, however I think it's important to push yourself and try new things once in a while. There's more that could be done to this painting, but like most portrait studies from life, I reach a point and decide I'm done even if the painting isn't.

No comments: