Thursday, December 17, 2015

Portrait Sketch from Life in Oil Paint

10" x 8" Oil on Canvas Panel
It's been a long time since I last got the oil paints out at a live portrait session. I've only painted portraits from life in oils a few times before. It's easier to stick with mediums I'm more familiar with for portraits, such as pastel or charcoal. But Casey Childs has cajoled me on a few occasions to practice painting from life with oil paints. Last week I finally hauled a paintbox with oil paints into Casey's studio and did the oil sketch shown above. It was made with a limited palette; cadmium yellow, cadmium red, and ivory black, plus titanium white.



Don't forget that you can see several of my plein air landscape paintings for sale in galleries throughout the state. You can find out more about them here.

No comments: