Monday, October 14, 2013

Another Trip To the Wasatch Bench

5" x 7" Oil on Panel
Last Saturday was at least the fourth time I've painted this spot this year. I can't seem to get enough of it, and each time is different. This time the chamisa is in full bloom. Honey bees and a few bumble bees worked the bright yellow chamisa blossoms as I set up the little 5" x 7" pochade box for another run. The beautiful autumn day began with blue skies, but later I found myself working from memory as cloud cover moved in and dimmed the sunlight.

As is usual, people occasionally stopped for brief visits as they came up the trail and found a plein air painter at work. I usually enjoy these visits. One man was even nice enough to snap a few photos of me painting.


Here's the painting "still in the box":


2 comments:

Israel Yang said...

This one is so beautiful. I love how it looks in the box, shows how good the values are. This makes me want to go back to oil.

James Gunter said...

Israel, Thank you for your comments.

There are painters who do some of their paintings in pastel, and some in oil. My landscapes are mostly done in oil, but I've posted a number of my pastel portraits in this blog. Looks like you're already familiar with both pastels and oils, so why not do both?