Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Some More Local Landscapes

9" x 12" Oil on Panel
These plein airs were all painted west of the interstate in Springville. They, along with a number of other paintings, were made in the weeks leading up to the Midway plein air competition.

11" x 14" Oil on Canvas Panel
These scenes are all within a quarter mile of each other and only a few miles from where I live. I do enjoy traveling and painting places different from here, but there certainly is a lot of good subjects close to home. It's good to take advantage of local painting opportunities, not simply because they're convenient, but because the subject matter is so rich and varied.

9" x 12" Oil on Canvas Panel
A small creek flows through this quarter-mile stretch. One evening after finishing a painting I was able to enjoy some fly fishing in the creek. No real lunkers came to my line that evening, but I enjoyed the gathering dusk as swallows darted and swirled through the air, and a loon on a nearby pool in the creek preened it's feathers. Occasionally there would be a sploosh as a fish took my dry fly. That evening, my catch was all returned to the water.

No comments: