Friday, January 13, 2012

Yesterday's Drawing Session

12" x 9" Pastel on Paper
Today is Friday the 13th, but casting aside all superstitious fears (knock on wood) I'm going ahead with this post!

In contrast to the drawing in the last post, which was drawn I-don't-know-how-many-years-ago (maybe I should write the dates on my sketches?) The drawing pictured above is from last night's drawing session. It's pastel on paper that has a colored abrasive coating. The paper's sandpaper-like surface is designed to firmly grab and hold pastel pigment.

The earliest layers of a drawing on this kind of paper are blended with an inexpensive and ever-shortening 1" bristle brush. Later layers are not blended. The paper's grit is so rough that if If I use my fingers to blend like I do on normal sketch paper, I'd be leaving too much of myself on the drawing. I want my fingertips to stay on my fingers.

Rarely do I know who the model will be or what medium I'll use before I arrive at the drawing session.  I just arrive with my stuff and roll with the flow. Whether I use pastel on toned paper, break out the oil paints and canvas panel, or simply sketch with charcoal in a plain sketchbook depends on what I think I need to work on, what kind of model we have, or sometimes even how tired I am. One thing is for sure - even if I'm so tired all I can do is scribble a likeness in a sketchbook, I'm going to be there.

For more about drawing sessions, go to "Labels" on the side bar and click on "sketching" or "drawing."

No comments: